Tips for Preventing Electrical Fires at Your Home
One of the most terrifying thoughts a homeowner can have is thinking about their house burning down. Electrical fires are at the forefront of this fear---since most of the time they are not visible to the naked eye.
Electrical fires, while not as common as kitchen fires, only make up about 5%-10% of home structure fires. However, this should not be a deterrent to ignore warning signs. SERVPRO of Mercer County is here to give you some important tips to prevent an electrical fire from happening at your home.
- Get your wiring checked. While this seems like it would be common sense, most homeowners do not get their wiring checked by a licensed professional. You should do this especially if the wiring is more than a decade old.
- Repair old wiring. If you notice the wires are visibly frayed, worn down, or the internal wiring exposed, this indicates it is a good time to switch those out for new.
- Check those electrical outlets too. Wires are not the only thing that catches fire. Old electrical outlets can be a major fire and shock hazard.
- Add more electrical outlets to your home. This spaces out the electronics, appliances and other items you plug in, which in turn reduces electrical hazard.
- Keep flammable items away from electrical outlets. Keeping blankets, furniture, and other flammable materials away from outlets helps prevent fire.
- Invest in surge protectors not just extension cords. Especially with Christmas season coming. A power surge can cause sparking which can turn hazardous as well.
- Replace older appliances that seem like they are on their last leg. If you gut is telling you its time for a new fridge---it probably is. Especially if you hear strange sounds or notice any flickering from the appliance.
If you are affected by an electrical fire. SERVPRO of Mercer County specializes in fire and water damage restoration. We have the specific damage restoration training, personnel, and equipment and can quickly restore your home to pre-fire condition. Call us anytime. We are here to treat your home and your belonging just like we would treat our own. Call 724.704.8939.