How to Prepare Your Hermitage, PA Home for a Winter Storm
Winter storms can bring cold temperatures, icy roads, power losses, and loss of communication services. To keep your home and family safe this winter, it’s important to prepare before a storm hits. Here are some tips to help you prepare your Hermitage, PA home for a winter storm:
- Insulate water lines that run along exterior walls to help prevent freezing and bursting.
- Caulk and weather-strip doors and windows.
- Insulate walls and attic.
- Repair any roof leaks and cut away tree branches that could fall onto your home.
- Install storm windows or cover windows with plastic from the inside.
- Have your chimney or flue inspected every year.
- Install a battery-operated carbon monoxide detector and smoke detector. Make sure to test them monthly and replace the batteries twice a year.
- If you use a wood stove, fireplace, or kerosene heater, keep a fire extinguisher nearby and keep all fuel-burning equipment vented outside.
- Have your furnace system and vents checked and cleaned each winter.
- For older adults, keep an easy-to-read thermometer inside the home and check it often during winter months.
If a winter storm damages your home in any way, or if you would like to have your vents cleaned, SERVPRO of Mercer County is ready to respond. We are locally owned and operated, so our team knows to be prepared for an increase in calls when a winter storm hits our area. Our quick response will help prevent secondary damage and help reduce restoration costs.
We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week - even on holidays. Give us a call today at (724) 704-8939, or visit our Website!