What to Do After a Fire at Your Mercer County Home
Having a fire at your Hermitage home is one scary thought. There are so many thoughts running through your head about what to save. But SERVPRO of Mercer County is here to remind our residents that your first concern during a fire should always be safety.
Here are some things to ensure you do after a fire:
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
Although tempting. These are the things you should try to avoid doing after a fire:
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.
In addition to fire, smoke, and soot damage, your Hermitage home may also suffer from water damage as a result of the firefighting efforts. This type of damage can be especially upsetting and destructive for your family to process. You may feel stressed, confused, and vulnerable, so you’ll need a caring expert to guide you through this crisis. We’ll treat you with respect and empathy, and we’ll always treat your home and belongings with care.
SERVPRO of Mercer County specializes in fire and water damage restoration. We have the specific damage restoration training, personnel, and equipment and can quickly restore your home to pre-fire condition.
Please refer to our Fire Damage Tips - Until Help Arrives Guide and follow these tips to protect yourself and your property.
If you have questions…call SERVPRO of Mercer County today at (330)393-9999.